A growing fetus can create joint and muscular problems for the mother-to-be. As muscles, tendons, and ligaments in the body try to stretch and adapt, these tissues can get strained. When overworked, the tissue pain will occur either in the attached joint, or in the muscle itself.
The Sciaticare Ball, by August Point Wellness, is a simple, versatile tool that can help ease the aches and pains during the second and third trimesters, when the fetus is nearing its maximum size. The Sciaticare Ball is designed to provide accurate therapeutic pressure (through the user’s own bodyweight) to relieve muscular tightness and spasms. The Ball is meant to be used as often as possible during pregnancy to help keep muscles loose and promote healthy blood circulation. Here are 5 key ways the Sciaticare Ball can simply and effectively treat the common muscular aches and pains of pregnancy:
1. Sciatic pain – The Sciaticare Ball was originally created to treat sciatic pain, hence the name. In the last trimester, women are forced to change sleeping positions frequently. One of these positions, side-sleeping, pulls at the lateral hip and gluteal muscles which can compress the sciatic nerve to cause pain to shoot down the legs. Stretching the hips may not be physically possible with a prominent baby belly, but with the Sciaticare Ball, muscular trigger points and acupressure points in the hips and glutes can be easily deactivated for this pregnancy related sciatica.
Treat the gluteus minimus, gluteus medius, and piriformis muscle trigger points. Also treat nearby tender points in the gluteal region.
2. Low back pain – Low back pain is probably the most common complaint during pregnancy. The location of the growing baby coupled with the stretching of the abdominal muscles force the lower back structure to handle tremendous upper body support duties.
To treat low back pain, use the Sciaticare Ball in a seated or lying position. Treat the quadratus lumborum, gluteus medius and soleus muscles. These three muscles are key to maintaining an upright posture.The erector spinae of the back can also be treated as they also assist to carry extra muscular load.
3. Upper back pain – As breasts increase in size, shoulder stabilizer muscles must work to keep the shoulder blades retracted. Tired muscles in the upper back will cause one to slouch and lead to aching pain between and around the shoulder blades. Since the upper back is easily accessible, there are a multitude of upper back acupressure and trigger points that can be massaged away using the Sciaticare Ball.
Use the Sciaticare Ball in a standing, seated or lying position. Treat the rear head of deltoid, supraspinatus, infraspinatus, rhomboids, erector spinae, and upper trapezius muscles. Take time and work these points often for relief.
4. Foot pain – As the feet bear extra weight, the muscles are put under more pressure during walking. Keeping the lower leg and foot muscles loose and supple will reduce the heart’s effort in pumping blood throughout. The benefits gained from treating the lower leg and feet are tremendous, such as: lowered blood pressure, improved lymphatic drainage (less edema and swelling), reduced fatigue, alleviated plantar fasciitis and foot pain.
Treat these muscles with the Sciaticare Ball in a standing, seated, or lying position. Roll the arches of the foot on the ball to treat intrinsic foot muscles. Treat the popliteus, gastrocnemius and soleus muscles while sitting on the floor with the legs straight out in front. Daily deactivation of these muscles will do much to improve overall health during pregnancy.
5. Neck pain – With the entire spinal column curving to accommodate a baby, the cervical spine must adapt as well. Thus, neck pain can often become an additional burden during pregnancy. If neck muscles get tight enough, they can contribute to sleep problems (insomnia), headaches, and balance issues.
The easiest way to treat the neck muscles with the Sciaticare Ball is to lay down on the floor and cup the ball with the hands. Place the Ball behind the neck and use the hands to push the ball into the acupressure or trigger points in the back of the neck from the base of the skull down to the shoulders. Treat the suboccipital muscles, levator scapulae, and upper trapezius muscles.
The Sciaticare Ball is a wonderful addition to an overall prenatal program and gives the pregnant mother the power to treat some of her conditions herself and in the privacy of her own home. With the valuable reward of learning how to focus on her own health, the mother can become more in tune with herself and her baby during the entire prenatal period. The Sciaticare Ball can also be used in conjunction with a mother’s alternative health care provider’s natural and drug-free prenatal treatment plan.
For more information, or to find out how to use the Sciaticare Ball, please visit us at:
Effective Pregnancy Hemorrhoid Acupuncture Points (augustpoint.wordpress.com)